Acupuncture for infertility in Dublin 2
What is infertility?
Infertility happens when a couple cannot conceive after a year despite having regular unprotected intercourse. In Ireland, about 1 in 6 couples will look for help to achieve a pregnancy.
They are two types of infertility: primary infertility, which happens when someone who never had a child is trying to conceive; and secondary infertility, which is when the person trying to conceive has had one or more pregnancies in the past.
Infertility can affect both men and women so it is important that both get their fertility tested.
What causes infertility?
For women, different conditions such as polycystic ovaries, endometriosis or sexually transmitted diseases can be at the origin of fertility problems. Hormonal imbalances can also affect fertility. For men, the most common cause is poor semen quality. For both, in 25% of cases (source NHS, UK), the infertility is unexplained.
How can acupuncture improve your fertility?
Chinese medicine looks at the imbalances in the body. A course of treatment, depending on your condition, will aim at the following:
- To regulate menstrual cycles
- To regulate menstruation
- Strengthen and nourish your body
- Monitor and eliminate symptoms that are associated with poor fertility in Chinese Medicine
- Improve semen quality
- Reinforce and improve libido if appropriate
Ultimately, the aim is to bring the couple to a peak of fertility to give the best chance for a natural conception to take place. If this cannot be achieved, the chances of successful IVF can also be significantly improved with the help of acupuncture.
In terms of benefits, research shows that acupuncture:
- Regulates fertility hormones
- Increase blood flow in the reproductive organs
- Counteracts the effect of polycystic ovaries syndrome
- Lowers scrotal temperature
- Enhances local microcirculation
- Reduces inflammation
- Improves sperm maturation
- Increases testosterone levels
Appropriate lifestyle advice can also make a big difference to the fertility of couples which is included as part of our infertility treatments.